It is well known that the much awaited MEMU services in the Kolam-Nagarcoil sector is going to take off. This year's budget has aalocated funds for the project. Electrification is almost complete upto Nagarcoil Jn. Now, infrastructure needed to handle extra MEMU rakes is being developed. This include,
1. New MEMU rake shed in Kollam
2. New platforms at all major stations viz. NGCL, Balaramapuram, Nemom, TVC, KCVL, Kazhakuttam, Mangalapuram, Chirayinkeezh, Varkala, Punalur and Kollam is needed
3. Raising of Platform height and length at all minor stations is needed
4. Subways at major stations needed to control flow of MEMU passengers.
5. MEMU rakes of state-of-the-art design should be deployed instead of using old rakes from Chennai/Mumbai MEMU services.
6. Future expansion on the lines of Chennai Metro should be envisioned while planning present MEMU services.
7. All level crossing should be replaced with ROBs or FOBs.
When completed, TVM-KLM section alone will have around 1.5-2 lakh commuters per day and increases at a rate of 30-40% annually upto 2015.
Opening of Vizhinjam port, Technocity, new campus of ISRO(proposed,later) will increase the pax. rate enormously........